Visiting Scholar – Research Scientist
My current research interests revolve around probabilistic groundwater modeling and innovative applications of machine learning in water science. I specialize in using numerical modeling to understand the mechanism behind the formation of mineral deposits. Since 2012, I’ve worked with Australia’s national science research agency, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO), to help tackle Australia’s national water challenge.
I am visiting the Survey to develop collaboration among CSIRO Land and Water, WGNHS, the UW–Madison Department of Geoscience, and the U.S. Geological Survey. I look forward to contributing to projects led by WGNHS where they align with my expertise.
Selected recent publications
- Raiber M, Lewis S, Cendón DI, Cui T, Cox ME, Gilfedder M, Rassam DW. (2019). Significance of the connection between bedrock, alluvium and streams: A spatial and temporal hydrogeological and hydrogeochemical assessment from Queensland, Australia. Journal of Hydrology 569 (2018): 666–684 DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2018.12.020
- Cui, T., Peeters, L., Pagendam, D., Pickett, T., Jin, H., Crosbie, R., Raiber, M., Rassam, D., and Gilfedder, M. (2018). Emulator-enabled approximate Bayesian computation (ABC) and uncertainty analysis for computationally expensive groundwater models. Journal of Hydrology, accepted, DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2018.07.005.
- Chen, J., Cui, T., Wang, H., Gilfedder, M., Liu, G., and Bai, Y. (2018). Spatial-temporal evolution of water-related ecosystem services: Taihu Basin, China. PeerJ 6:e5041; DOI: 10.7717/peerj.5041
- Cui T, Moore C, Raiber M. (2018). Probabilistic assessment of the impact of coal seam gas development on groundwater: Surat Basin, Australia. Hydrogeol J. DOI: 10.1007/s10040-018-1786-2
- Sreekanth J, Cui T, Pickett T, et al. (2018). Probabilistic modelling and uncertainty analysis of flux and water balance changes in a regional aquifer system due to coal seam gas development. Sci Total Environ 634:1246–1258. DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.04.123
- Cui T, Raiber M, Pagendam D, et al. (2017). Response of groundwater level and surface-water/groundwater interaction to climate variability: Clarence-Moreton Basin, Australia. Hydrogeol J 593–614. DOI: 10.1007/s10040-017-1653-6
Selected professional activities
- Associate Editor, Hydrogeology Journal
- Organizing Committee of Australasian Groundwater Conference
- Committee member, IAH Australia QLD
- Member, American Geophysical Union